Friday, February 17, 2006

Ubiquitous Watch, Fun With Statistics, Advertising Edition

I couple weeks ago I pointed out how Ubiquitous insofar as technology is more of a Korean term than an English term. In a recent Korea Herald article I found the new Konglish sweeping the nation being discussed as a "Foreign Word":

"Obviously, no company would want to put a PPL (Product Placement) ad in a collapsing shack, right? With drama producers pouncing on companies for more investment, it is only a matter of course that TV dramas turn into fancy commercials," said EBS policy committee member Yang Moon-suk at the Broadcasting Producer Association forum last year.

PPL? Thats a new one for me. What does the "L" stand for? So I looked it up to confirm its use. I get:

pay per lead: Online advertising payment model in which payment is based solely based on qualifying leads.

So I did some searching to find out about its frequency of use. First just googling PPL is no good since it could mean anything (almost 6 million hits). PPL and advertising as also too general of a search judging from the results (almost 850K hits, and the first few are for selling your mobile home). So I looked for "PPL Product Placement Advertising" and got 80K hits, with the first one a Wikipedia reference. Meanwhile I typed in "PPL 광고" with the first article about product placement with over 50K hits. 

Using the statistics on population in my previous referenced post you get .000084 uses of PPL for product placement for each English user and .00014 uses of PPL for product placement for each Korean user (I left out the North Koreans for obvious reasons).

So I ask you is "PPL" really an english term as it's bandied about in Korea?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home