Thursday, September 14, 2006

Obligatory 9/11 Post

In lieu of all the conversation and remembrances, I would like to relate a bit for my friends and regular readers. Perhaps its therapy for me as well.

I do not want to remember the 9/11 attacks. I do not want to hear the tapes. I do not want to see the TV news footage. I do not want to sit through a movie about it. Too painful.

The closest I got the attacks was a rather frantic phone call from a guy I barely knew. He was a business contact I knew from the States. We had a few good lunches together and had a great rapport. With hopes of keeping the contact I sent him my contact information in Korea.

It was sometime in the afternoon on September 12, which made it the middle of the night in the US. I got a call from him, it started off business like, "Er just thought I would call you..." but I could hear the fatigue and edge in his voice. The conversation turned, "You see what happened over here today...". The edge became sharper. "You know my brother worked in those buildings...". It clicked, in the dead of the night his options were few. My weathered contact information a lifeline to help him get through a sleepless night.

The odd thing, his distance and isolation in the middle of night neatly summed up my own isolation from the attacks. On that day, and subsequent days I never felt so alone in my life. It was a rather odd, feeling the pain every American felt yet unable to talk about it much, unable to have that community experience, unable to do anything about it. I just had to sit and watch in that odd mix of loneliness, fear, and anger. No, I do not want to remember that day.

1 Comments:

At May 18, 2007 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly it will be many years from now until history books recognize 9/11 for what it truly was, one of the the most brilliant acts of war, ever. Up there with the Trojan Horse, Turtle Ship, Hannibals elephants, etc.
In the meantime we have to put up with the whimpering from the losers.
Get over it, and look at 9/11 for what it was.
Absolutely brilliant stuff.
After the USS Cole, to 9/11, al Qaeda have established quite an outstanding learning curve. 6 years on and they've yet to do anything as spectacular as the twin towers.
And boy, didn't they waste that plane into the pentagon, maybe a good symbolic/metaphoric target, but visually a real let down. you would probably need 5 planes for each face of the pentagon to make a proper dent. What a tremendous bunker it is, it looks like a building.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home