Sunday, July 23, 2006

Korean Food - Seconds

The english edition of the Joongang Ilbo put together a review of various forms of packaged ramen in Korea. While I have no definite preferences, it is nice to see in the past 6 years since I have been here the ramen market has evolved out of offering one flavor...HOT.

Meanwhile I want the feedback by some of the regular readers. I am thinking of adding a food review section of some sort. Basically I want to travel around Korea finding the best of one non-Korean food item. I would appreciate an idea on what dish/item and also some recommendations of your best places for it (anywhere in Korea). Leave a comment or email me at drambuie.man AT gmail.com


2 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point, Mod_Mephisto. I have often wondered why I see "웰빙" (annoying bit of Konglish) on things that are utterly devoid of any nutritional value. In fact, it is only on junk that I normally see the label.

Consumer advocate would be very good.

I am not sure what you mean by the last sentence though, M_M.

And Dram_Man, I would love to see more on food!

 
At July 25, 2006 3:07 PM, Blogger Dram Man said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I do not know how much I can get into the "well being" food trend since I am not a nutritionist, and...umm....for those of you that have seen me know I am not much a nutrition guy in the first place.

As for your comments, I think one of the worst trends is the idea of deep-frying chicken in olive oil. Olive oil has a very low smoke point, which means that in order to deep fry with it the temperature has to be very low, wich means the food cooks slow, sets in the fryer longer, and ends up very greasy (this may be difficult to believe, but proper deep fat fried foods have little no grease from the fryer, the food is idealy seared and 'bakes' in the hot oil).

I also laugh at the claim of frying in extra virgin olive oil. This is outright lie, extra virgin olive oil has a low enough smoke point to be considered gasoline. It should normaly be served as a garnish, sauce, or dressing never used in cooking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home